Enterprise Content Management is simply how you organize all the content that gets used and distributed in your company. “Content” can be documents, files, images, emails, CAD drawings and any other unstructured company related information.
Traditionally, companies store content in files under a network drive somewhere. But as a company grows, and has numerous employees filing content in different ways, under different names and sending it to various locations, companies lose control of their content and any insight as to where these assets reside.
This is where content management solutions come into play. It is technology that helps sort, regulate, label, route and locate these documents in a way that will be beneficial to people. ECM solutions make content findable, manage version control and can even work on routing and workflows. It can also include information “capture” software that take information from a page and integrates it with whatever system of record you need.
As AIIM (Association for Information and Image Management) puts it, it is “neither a single technology nor a methodology nor a process, it is a dynamic combination of strategies, methods, and tools used to capture, manage, store, preserve and deliver information supporting key organizational processes through its entire lifecycle”.
VersaFile helps you determine what your business challenges are and matches them with technologies to improve productivity, decrease costs and reduce liability.
There are many, but here are a few:
- Version control – staff using incorrect and outdated versions of documents
- Content outside the firewall – employees storing business content in personal locations including personal PCs
- Content to external contractors – don’t want to provide them access to your internal systems but do want to ensure what they receive is secure and easy to access
- Mobility – inability of staff to get the information they need when on the road or away from their computer
- Drowning in paper – offsite storage of documents that could be scanned and managed digitally, including documents requiring signatures or engineering stamps
- Information retrieval – finding what you need when you need it. Some employees take days, sometimes weeks to obtain what they need.
“Content Services” is the new buzz phrase for ECM, but generally refers to ECM on the cloud. Although most companies still have their ECM platform on premise, software as an industry is moving towards the cloud – ECM included. VersaFile offers a packaged ECM cloud based platform, called VersaFile Content Services.